Oregon Challenges: An Audits Overview
- Educating Oregon’s workforce
- Developing Oregon’s infrastructure
- Strengthening Oregon’s Finances.
This report focuses on three fundamental areas of state government that pose critical challenges to Oregon’s progress. Each area has been the subject of multiple audits, and this report synthesizes past Secretary of State Audits Division reports and related research on each area. The three areas are:
- Educating Oregon’s Workforce: Oregon must have an educational system organized for student success, and we must identify ways to help Oregonians enter the workforce. Our audits shed light on how Oregon might better educate and mobilize its workforce.
- Developing Oregon’s Infrastructure: Oregon faces critical infrastructure needs, including the need to upgrade state information technology systems and to fund future transportation projects. Our audits have identified strategies to address these critical infrastructure needs.
- Strengthening Oregon’s Finances: Oregon faces critical issues with state and local government financing. Our audits have addressed the financial strain faced by our struggling county partners, ways to collect more debt owed to the state, and ways to build sustainable finances for state government.
We highlight these challenges because they affect important fundamentals of state government – educating its workforce, infrastructure, and finances. We also highlight them because the challenges are large and difficult. While we have seen some progress and small successes, they need more attention and committed efforts from state leaders. More challenges exist and we will periodically report on them as we complete future audits, highlighting key recommendations and agency efforts underway that could address those challenges.